Sunday 20 October 2013

For as long as I can remember, the Irish gaming scene has been.. well let's just say that for as long as I have been around here, it's been somewhat lacking. I mean there are a lot of gamers here in Ireland.. I can name four big games studios off the top of my head that have offices here.. but even with all of that, there has been nothing going on here and it's all been very disappointing in that regard.

However! All that is set to change with the upcoming arrival of an eSports event based in Cork, Ireland. When I first heard someone mentioning that this start up called n00bgaming were planning to host an event, I will be the first to admit to being dubious to the nth degree.. but ever since I saw the "poster" on TeamLiquid a fever has been growing in my loins head err..heart?

One of the things that makes it easy to become hyped about this is that Nick "Axslav" Ranish and Alex "Axeltoss" Rodriguez have agreed take the trip over to Ireland from the states to cast the tournament side of this event. This is notable because the pair cast as a duo for Major League Gaming(which is kind of a big deal).

On top of that, there is the announced prize pool.. which is insanely high for a first time event, so I'm told! There will be four different game tournaments each with a different total prize pool. I'll go through them here and let you know what it is! So here goes!!

            1. Fifa 13 - €1000
            2. Halo 3 - €1000
            3. League of Legends - €2000
            4. Starcraft 2 - €10,000
Yep, you read that right.. €10,000 euro prize pool for SC2.. for a first time event. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has extremely high hopes that this does well.. and if it does I'm positive there will be many more and the more there are, all the better for the Irish gaming scene and I guess the economy or something like that. They also appear to have some solid backing though with sponsors like Ozone gaming gear, Microsoft and Happauge!.

They have also announced at least one pro sc2 player who is going to turn up and that is Elfi.. I hope some more turn up cause well, it'd be pretty easy money for him if no other pro players go! So come on guys, sign up! Ireland is great and we'd love to have you all over here!

The tournament is set to take place in Cork City itself, and the location is fantastic because it's only a few minutes away from a lot of pubs. It's happening on the 16th and 17th of November at O'Callaghan Properties, Half Moon St, Cork.

This is their post on TeamLiquid. You can also check out the Facebook page here, follow them on Twitter for regular updates.

That's me done, so as usual drop me a comment or three if you have any thoughts or want any more information and I'll do my best to dig it out for you!

Ciao for now!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!